Thursday 21 January 2016

Trip to Luxembourg City - 16th - 21st July 2014

In July on the 16th 2014 I flew out to Luxembourg City. I flew out here as I had tickets with my boyfriend and friend to go to the Electromagnetic Festival in Völklingen, Germany. (You can read about that here.) But this post is about my time I spent in Luxembourg which was a few days. We got a coach to the city centre where our first hotel was which was right outside the train station.
We stayed in Empire hotel. This was a really nice friendly hotel, the staff spoke English so it was easy to ask for directions if need be. If you are staying in Luxembourg city, this hotel is in an excellent location being right opposite the train station. There is plenty of shops and restaurants just around the corner also.

Luxembourg City Station
Empire Hotel
Once we had settled in and dropped all our luggage off in our hotel room we went for a wander about the city. This city has some really great views as I found out. You can walk across this bridge and there is a valley down below. I really liked how the city was up above and there was this valley of green down below. Another thing I really liked in the valley there was houses and shops it felt like a little village. To get down to the valley you can either walk - I warn you there is lots of steps in Luxembourg city, I don't think I had walked up and down so many steps before. The other way down there was to take the lift which is a lot easier if you don't like walking a lot. We tried both ways.




One of the bridges across the valley
There is lots to see and do here, one of the places we visited was I believe called Bock Casemates. These were caves and tunnels inside a old castle wall. The stairways in here were very steep and long leading to lots of different tunnels it was fun to explore. I can't remember how much it cost to go in there but it wasn't that much. Good place to visit if you are visiting the city, for couples, families or even on your own. It's lots of walking up and down stairways though so if you aren't one for going up lots of stairs I don't think you would like it. There is even cannons in there.




 We also went one of the guided tours around the city. We had this lady tour guide. To be honest I think she went on a bit to much everyone seemed bored, but places she took us was, Notre Dame Cathedral (Cathedrale Notre Dame), The Monument of Remembrance (The Golden Lady), past the Royal Palace (The King was on holiday the tour guide told us.)  The tour took over 1-2 hours, if you like this kind of thing I recommend it as it does show you the main places and attractions, and you get a lot of information and learn about the history of the place.


Cathedrale Notre Dame

After the tour we took a stroll down to the valley and went for a walk alongside the river. It's so pretty down here there was lots of ducks and flowers. We followed this path that went alongside the river and under one of the bridges which took us to a small town where there was lots of restaurants and shops. We stopped off at one of the restaurants which I think was a burger bar. The food was really nice, but quite expensive.
As we was walking back along the riverside we saw some rats running along with food, which we found quiet amusing, I also found a few cats about the city too.

River
Along the riverside

Microsoft Building

A few other things we did while in the city was we found this really cool playground it had an awesome pirate ship in it that you could go climbing on, plus these water pumps you could spray water out from. We hadn't seen a cool playground like this before so we thought we go check it out. Another place we found was this outdoor gym, which you could just go to and exercise for free, so we has a go on that too.

Pirate boat in playground
Outside Gym.

I think that is about everything, below is a few more photos. I hope you enjoy this post about Luxembourg City. Do check out my others ones.




0 comments:

Post a Comment